Proper installation is the key to a successful GPS tracking solution. In other words, if your devices aren’t reporting properly, even the most advanced software isn’t going to provide much value for you. If you’ve decided to NOT invest in a professional installation, what do you need to know? This article provides our answers to important questions about self-implementation.
Why do I have to supply a vehicle list along with my order?
The last thing we want to do is create unnecessary work for our teams. A vehicle list is required with a device order so that we can determine the device types and cables that are required for each vehicle. Getting together a list of vehicles can be time consuming, but it will save you time in the long run. You can even use this list to update vehicle information via spreadsheet upload once vehicles have been installed.
Who manages the installation process?
During the self-install option, we recommend that you appoint a project manager on your team to oversee the initial deployment and assist with communications to all site contacts.
What are my installers supposed to do with the vehicle list?
As vehicles enter the shop, the installer should consult the list, determine the device type/cables, refer to installation guides, and use the Unit Verification App (iOS | Android) to complete each installation while they are at the vehicle.
What is installation verification and why is it required?
Installation verification confirms that the device is functional and correctly sending data. Warranty requires that installation verification is performed after each installation. To do so, call the Support Team at 866-477-4321 x2 while your installer is with the vehicle. Device registration will be handled by the Support at this time. In addition, installation verification helps to improve device performance by verifying the device is reporting correctly at the time of installation.
Why can’t you pre-register devices with the vehicles for us?
There are several reasons why we do not pre-register devices at the time of order/shipment:
- Billing starts immediately at registration. If you aren’t installing the devices immediately, you would be billed for service of uninstalled devices.
- Odometer is required to be entered at registration. If the installer does not update the odometer information at installation, the odometer will be off.
- If we pre-registered devices on your behalf, the devices will show location as being in Scottsdale, AZ at the last plugged in location.
- Installers will see a list of devices with serial numbers, and it is difficult to determine what device type goes into what vehicle by just looking at the serial number. An installer could wrongly attempt to install a light duty device in a heavy duty truck.
- If any devices get installed in incorrect vehicles after pre-registration, the current registration would need to be deleted then re-created. Additionally, determining that a device got installed in the wrong vehicle may require disassembly of the dash in order to read the serial number to get correct installations.
Does installing GPS devices void the vehicle warranty?
According to the Federal Trade Commission, the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your vehicle warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. The manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage. Therefore, the burden is on the manufacturer or dealer to prove that the aftermarket product caused the failure of the warranted product before denying warranty coverage.
How long after installation can I begin seeing vehicle data in the system?
Vehicles should be registered in the application immediately after installation. The vehicle may not appear on the map until it has been driven.