The installation kit contains one temperature sensor, one p-clamp, two heat shrink butt connectors, two standard butt connectors, two grommets, eight 8 in. (20 cm) cable ties with screw hole, twelve 8 in. (20 cm) cable ties, nine self-tapping screws, and 18 ft. cable extension.
Additional tools and parts you may need include electrical tape, insulated wire crimper, wire stripper, extension ladder, cordless drill, extended length 5/16 in. (8 mm) drill bit, heat gun, heat shrink butt connectors, cable ties and split loom.
The following steps provide an overview of the installation process:
- Install preparation.
- Wire connections.
1. Install preparation.
- Ensure the area inside the left side of the trailer, ~1 ft. (30 cm) down from the ceiling and ~1 ft. (30 cm) from the wall, is clear of anything that may be damaged when drilling the hole for the temperature sensor.
- Identify the cable route to the AT-3000 to make sure it is not susceptible to damage or will inhibit the removal of asset panels.
- Determine if the length of the cable will need to be extended in order to reach the device.
If wires must be extended, heat shrink butt connectors must be used and all wires must be protected.
- Locate cordless drill, extended length 5/16 in (8mm) drill bit, temperature sensor cable, two grommets, self-tapping screw and p-clamp.
- Drill a hole in the area identified in Step #1.1 (Install Preparation, above) and clear away any metal burs which might damage the cable.
- Slide grommet over the temperature sensor cable, and from inside the trailer, feed the Temperature Sensor cable through the hole and slide the grommet into place.
- Place the p-clamp over the plastic part of the temperature sensor cable, hold the sensor horizontal to the ground and screw into place.
- Slide the second grommet over the cable and into place.
- Using cable ties, secure the temperature sensor every 1 1/2 ft. (.5m) as you route the cable to the AT-3000.
3. Wire Connections.
- Locate wire strippers, insulated crimper, heat shrink butt connector, ring terminal (from AT-3000 kit), heat gun, electrical tape, and cable ties.
- Temperature Sensor: Tape off the red wire. Remove 1/2 in. (12 mm) of installation from the blue, black, and white wires. Fray the wire strands of the blue and black wires. Twist the wire strands of the white wire.
- AT-3000: Remove 1/2 in. (12 mm) of installation from the white with blue stripe wire and the black wire. Twist the wire strands of the white wire with blue stripe. Fray the wire strands of the black wire.
- Twist the frayed AT-3000 black wire and the temperature sensor blue and black wires together, insert into the ring terminal, crimp and apply heat.
- Connect the AT-3000 white with blue stripe wire to the temperature sensor white wire using a heat shrink butt connector, crimp and apply heat.
- Tape off all unused wires, apply loom (if necessary), and secure the cable with cable ties.
Every heat shrink butt connector must be heated to make a water-tight seal. Glue will seep from the butt connector when heated, so use extra care when applying heat as to not damage the wire or any surrounding wires.